Monday, March 5, 2012

Olive Oil

Well, I grew up in a family that loves olive oil. As a kid, we used it on our breadsticks rather than butter. We always cook with oil over any kind of animal fat. I often heard about how good it is for you, how it contains so many vitamins and things that your body needs. Well, it is certainly healthier than butter. But does that mean that it is an ideal component of our diet?

Up until a few weeks ago, I thought so. Then, I saw something on Durianrider's blog. He points out that essentially, eating olive oil is basically pouring pure fat into your body. While I don't completely agree with him about it being 'refined' (It's really as refined as fresh squeezed orange juice, if you think about it), I did think his assertion that it slows you down and makes you more sluggish and kinda just clogs up your system was an interesting one.. I honestly couldn't find a lot of information about it, but I decided to try cutting out olive oil anyhow, just to see if what he said held true.

Well, it's been a few weeks now since I've had olive oil. I find that I need to eat a lot more (makes sense, because I'm not eating all the extra calories from the fat, but other than that - I feel so much more energetic and awake, and just generally more alive. I don't know why this is, and I haven't found any research supporting this really. But I haven't felt the need to add it back to my diet yet, so, though I'm not entirely sure yet, I do think I plan upon removing olive oil permanently from my diet...and I invite anyone else who might be inclined to give this a shot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment