Monday, December 24, 2012

Low Fat Raw Gourmet: Chili

It's Christmas Eve! Happy day-before-the-overly-commercialized-stolen-from-the-pagans-everybody's favorite holiday. Ok, no more cynical.

Today, Daddy spent hours crafting a very complicated cooked vegan chili out of beans, mushrooms, and lots of spices.

I'm generally opposed to beans and salt and cooked things, so I decided instead, I would make a healthier version of their dinner that I could eat at the same time. I searched the internet, looking at traditional cooked recipes, overly complicated raw recipes, and the simplest of the simplest lowfat fare, and I think I've come up with something somewhere in between!

Like the sushi recipe I posted yesterday, this is a more complicated, more gourmet low-fat raw recipe - though it's still not nearly as long or painstaking as many high-fat gourmet raw recipes! If you're a chili fan, this is a good way to eat ligit chili yumminess and keep it low fat, raw, and salt free.

So without further ado,

(I know, my phone camera sucks. My apologies. Haha)

Recipe will feed 2 'cooked' people or 1 LFRV.

Ingredients:

  • 3 tomatoes
  • 8 sun-dried tomatoes (more for a richer, deeper tomato flavor; less for a lighter, fresher flavor)
  • .5oz dehydrated mushrooms (I used shiitake)
  • 1 zucchini
  • .5 onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 or 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 or 2 poblano peppers
  • 1 - 2tsp cumin
  • 1Tbsp chili powder
  • dash oregano
  1. Blend sun-dried tomates with a little water in a blender to form a paste
  2. Put tomatoes (quartered), mushrooms, garlic (minced), sun-dried tomato paste, onions (chopped up), cumin, chili powder, & oregano in food processor; blend until chunky
  3. Grate, julienne, or cut zucchini into small cubes (I grated)
  4. Slice or julienne peppers into small, thin strips
  5. Mix together, and let sit 2 - 12hrs (the longer it sits, the more the flavors will blend).
    • You could put it in the dehydrator to warm it/make the flavors blend faster
  6. Serve & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment