Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Little Kiddies.

Recently I've been feeling uncomfortably negative an cynical... A condition I attribute mostly to the simple fact that I am legally obligated to be in school every day for seven hours, with a structured schedule...rather than frolicking half naked in the hot sun all day - that coupled with other unfortunate realities such as the cooling weather, rarely getting adequate amounts of sleep, as well as being forced to spend the majority of my day the people I've grown up with - many of whom for whatever reason suddenly seem unbearably immature, self absorbed, and ignorant. I don't like thinking that way about people, and it kind of freaks me out that I have been. But anyhow, some part of this equation has lead to my existence becoming less than healthy, happy, and beautiful... And from there I fear it may have begun snowballing, especially had I not noticed it. Anyhow, that's not what this post is about. Just an observation, kind of. Haha.

So, last year, I got a job after school working with elementary aged kids. After about four months off, we started again this Monday - and just two days in, I've noticed just how much calmer, happier, more positive, and humbled I feel. I think something about working with young children is very therapeutic.

I love their honesty, I love their impressionability, I love their energy, I love their individuality, I love their curiosity.

I like that the job forces me to forget about myself and what's going on in my head for a few hours in a day, and focus on the children and their needs. I love seeing children engaged in and excited about learning. I love being able to help stimulate the kids. I love the idea that the things I do can help the child to further develop and learn.

It's amazing what the responsibility and privilege of caring for a little kid can do for a person. I definitely recommend it. (:


I blog with BE Write

No comments:

Post a Comment