Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY Tutu Time!

Hello, my name's Kati; I'm 16 years old and I spent the afternoon making myself a tutu.

Have you ever found yourself craving some tutu action, but are too poor or unwilling to buy yourself a professionally made tutu?

Do you have an old bolt of tulle just laying around, and you don't know what to do with it?!

Then this post is for you!

I made this tutu out of some elastic I found in mom's sewing desk, a few inches of thread, and a bolt of tulle from a thrift store.

This garment shall be used in an upcoming video - shall be tons of fun; stay tuned! :D

But anyhow - now I shall share with you the secrets of making a fabulous tut all by yourself!

First. I found a piece of elastic and cut it so it would fit around my waist, like so:


Then, I took my tulle and cut it into pieces; I assume any size will do, but for the size & fluffiness of mine, I made squares about 2.5' long by 1.5' wide.
Gather the tulle in the middle and fold it over on itself, and tie it around the elastic using a larks head knot. I tried to take a picture of this step, but it really didnt work. So I found a picture of the knot on the internet:

Did that all the way around the skirt (32 knots for me, may be more or less depending upon your size). Aaaand here is the finished product: (:

No comments:

Post a Comment